PLG Cooks: Creamy Lemon Cookies


The first little shoots of tulips and crocus are FINALLY making their way up in my yard so I am in complete spring mode. This springtime itch has me painting my nails the brightest pink, shedding my bulky winter sweaters and bringing the flavors of warmer months into my kitchen. This joy over spring's appearance (Have I said finally yet? FINALLLLY.) has also had me craving some lemon cookies, and I had to share them with you. These babies are moist, chewy and creamy, with the perfect bright lemon flavor, making your insides feel as springy as the tulips popping up outside.

You are going to LOVE this recipe. It is a springtime staple in our house and I know you're gonna eat it up (Literally+figuratively.) YUM.



Lemon Cookies with Creamy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

For the cookies:
1 Meyer Lemon Cookie Mix (I used Krusteaz)
1 egg
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. lemon zest + 2 tbs for topping

For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2-2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 cup yellow sugar sprinkles


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cookie mix, butter, egg, vanilla, and lemon extract in a medium bowl. Stir until dough forms. Roll into balls and place on greased cookie sheet.

2. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

3. While cookies are cooling whip the cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar, and combine with mixer.

4. Add vanilla, lemon extract, any extra powdered sugar to taste, and sugar sprinkles.

5. Fill ziploc or pastry bag with icing and pipe on cookies. Top with remaining lemon zest.






Aren't they glorious? The lemon flavor is the perfect amount tartness and the frosting is so creamy I want to bathe in it. Or just eat a bunch of it with a spoon. Either one.


What are the recipes you love making when spring finally comes around? Share away!

ox. Liz

Labels: