I have such an obsession with baking brownies and have searched for years to find the perfect chocolatey brownie recipe to be my go-to when the urge to bake hits me. In the midst of this search I never considered trying a blondie recipe because it seemed nothing could compete with the full-chocolate variety. However, one Sunday I needed brownies desperately but was out of cocoa, the key ingredient to my favorite recipe. So, in an attempt to take the edge off my brownie fix I decided to try a blondie recipe and I am SO glad I did.
This blondie recipe has changed the game. It has all of the things that make a brownie recipe great: 1. The ingredients are super basic and you will always have them on hand. 2. They are outrageously delicious, gooey, chewy, and dense. 3. They are infinitely adaptable. All you have to do is follow the base recipe and then toss in whatever you've got in your pantry in order to make them special. Hence, I call them Chameleon Blondies because they can change with your whims. You're going to LOVE them. Here's the recipe:
8 tablespoons oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
- Butter an 8×8 pan
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
- Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (below).
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. I always err on the side of caution with baking times — nobody ever complained about a gooey-middled cookie. Cool on rack before cutting them.
Further additions, use one or a combination of the following or whatever or deliciousness you can think of:
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 1 cup butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- 1/2 to 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries, into the prepared batter
- Top with a vanilla butter cream or chocolate peanut butter cream frosting
My current favorite combo is to toss in chocolate chunks, butterscotch chips, coconut flakes and sliced almonds alllll together. Heaven, you guys.
OH, you're going to love them so. Happiest baking!